The Wellcome Trust always needs to know the ‘health benefits’ of any new technology. But as a mathematician and software designer, it is hard for me to express the advantages of my software in terms of patients, medical care and health.
However, I put together a few presentations that use images from a medical context, to illustrate the advantages of “Visual and Metric 3D”:
The benefits are on three levels of functionality:
- individual images offer new visual perspectives
- sets of images can be sorted and ranked according to numerical criteria
- single images can be selected from groups according to new quantifications and measures.
In terms of healthcare, this means that
- individual images can clarify diagnostic uncertainties
- preventive scans can be checked by the thousands
- thus allowing to establish levels of standards, references and tolerance, with respect to conditions of health or illness.